From: midrange-nontech-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-nontech-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of jt
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 6:47 PM
To: midrange-nontech@midrange.com
Subject: RE: We will Survive

Neil,

I see your points, but disagree with some.

Our constitution has been interpreted to protect the rights of the innocent.
This can be one of the country's greatest assets, in these particular times.

The deeper problem is the erosion, in our courts and throughout the land, of
the fact that there is such a thing as Right and Wrong.  I believe this is
the point of the article Charlie Hahn posted.  It has only been the past few
years that a shift in balance has begun, back to the idea that victims of
crimes have rights, too.  But still, the laws of our land allow a teenager
to murder, and get off essentially scott free with a sentence in Juvenile
Detention until they turn 21.  On the archaic presumption that someone that
young does not know that what they are doing is wrong.

But I do not believe the answer to arriving at correct balance can be found
by taking away individual liberties.  (I wonder if Americans will even put
up with the inconvenience of additional security measures, or not.)  The
answer is to "go with the horse that brung you" and in America the horse
that has gotten us this far is the idea that the we have to bend over
backwards to try to apply the law equally to all.  Without regards to race,
religion, or national origin.

Profiling leads to the arrests of innocent Arab-Americans, as has been
documented.  Applying the law equally, sets them free as quickly as
possible.  Few in this country will claim that the guilty ALWAYS get
punished, or the innocent ALWAYS go free.  But we bend over backwards to
try.

Profiling also ignores the reality, which Ted Bundy has proven, that you
cannot judge a man's heart by his face.  IMO, few today even have the skills
to look into a person's eyes and see the soul.

I think the goal should be to profile people based on their being
suspicious, rather than their appearance.  The next wave of terrorists (if
any) may well look like WASPs.  I have to keep bringing up Timothy McVea.
He was one of us.

Unfortunately, it may require more innocents to get arrested, to protect the
lives of Americans.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but nobody knows how
long this war will continue.  The point is: it is time to improve the
process, to enable the innocent to go free and the guilty to be punished.
Profiling, on the basis of race, religion, or national origin works against
that, and besides that, isn't likely to be effective in protecting the lives
of the innocent anyway.

jt