Janet,

We only started corresponding a year ago, but I consider you an old friend,
somehow.

Thank you for forward the outstanding thoughts of Russell D. Hoffman and
Sharon Hoffman.  I have forwarded it to my Congressmen, with the comment
that, "While I do not agree with all the specific points, I agree completely
with the general principle."  I may, or may not, also send this reply.

The problem, as I see it, is that World War III has been going on for some
time now, unnoticed.  The second "Day of Infamy" was merely the formal
declaration.

And, while there are certainly many, many pros and cons regarding
dismantling nuclear plants, the question remains:  can individuals with
enough hate get their hands on implements of mass destruction.  The "people"
that perpetrated this crime, and Timothy McVeigh, have already answered that
one.

I believe...  I fear...  That no country has the resources to protect every
building against terrorism.  And no country can remain free, whilst
attempting to protect their resources to the degree that would be necessary.

I do, however, agree completely with both you and the Hoffman's that "we
NEED to come up with more constructive responses than just military
attacks."

War is horrible, but all attempts to outlaw it, to date, have failed.  Until
the time that war is outlawed, for good, the civilized countries of the
world must unite, to ban attacks on innocent civilians.  This is not so
simple, but it's necessary because it is impossible for countries to protect
themselves against these kinds of rabid individuals.

Unfortunately there will be countries, which are not civilized, which will
choose not to unite to ban attacks on innocent civilians.  And there will be
individuals, even within the civilized countries, who will not go by this
law (if established).

So I believe the question will become:  how to deal with these countries,
and these individuals.  And since individuals can get their hands on
implements of war, have enough hate to wage war, and can hide anywhere in
the world, this will be the far tougher problem.  Perhaps this can be
accomplished without military force, but I'm not seeing that as very likely.

America is going to have to find a way to deal with it's own terrorists.
Anybody who feels that people should die, because they hold views other than
there own is, in my mind, a terrorist.

But an equally tough problem is that it will be necessary to unite with
countries, that we have traditionally been enemies with, to defeat
terrorism.  And oppose countries, that we have traditionally been friends
with, if they cannot take steps to reduce the hostilities which just serve
to foment hate.

JMHO.  Glad to see your thoughtful comments.

jt