On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SQL/CLI appears to be a standardized specification for SQL to be
embedded in a host programming language. Presumably several
programming languages are SQL/CLI-compliant.

Do you really think that Mohammad was talking about SQL CLI? I don't. I
think he was talking about SQL PL. There are relevant differences between
the two.

I think SQL/CLI is closer to what he was talking about than SQL PL.
SQL PL is a specific language, implemented by IBM for DB2. Ultimately,
OP is clearly after something that can be relatively easily ported to
various databases running on various machines. SQL PL might satisfy
that, in that code written in it is probably as easy to port as code
written in any other SQL-based programming language; but the spirit of
what he was saying is "we're trying to get away from being tied to any
particular database or machine". So he was trying to find terminology
that explicitly wasn't tied to any particular database or machine.
Perhaps SQL/PSM would have been more accurate than either of the terms
we're discussing.

John Y.