Thank you to you Diane and all the others who replied to my question. I think the answer you describe here (and also suggested by a few others) is the answer I will pursue. I will attempt to use the built-in facilities of Client Access and Excel. We don't need fancy things like color or font stuff. Just having Excel properly understand the correct data types would suffice. Thank you to all for the great ideas.

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of dmmueller@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:41 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IBM i database to Excel spreadsheet

I have created an excel spreadsheet, formatted the columns as needed, saved it as a "template" spreadsheet.
Within the template, created a connection document to our iSeries, also includes the SQL statement within the connection properties.
Works great, each morning, I open the excel spreadsheet, it retrieves the daily data from the SQL statement, and since it is built from a template, all columns are formatted correctly.
Next - added a macro that is saving the file based on the date timestamp.

All tools from Excel and iSeries and within seconds, I have a formatted spreadsheet with data updated each morning.

Diane Mueller