Spent the better part of the last year migrating from a AS/436 to Power 8...was more than painful the code was running on M36 which meant we had to move everything over to the os/400 environment and update the code, etc and as expected there were tons of things to mod. We externalized the files to DDS built PF/LF since there were tons of packed blanks in columns. Anything new we wrote in RPGLE (really old style since the 436 was running OS version v3r2). We then ported all of that to a v5r4 system and continued our work until we got some things hammered out then moved to the Power 8. Right now they are running in a mixed S/36 & IBM I environment. I still have nightmares...

Thanks,
Tommy Holden

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 2:41 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "S/36 Printer ID" changed?

I'd dearly love to know their plans when that box dies.
- We'll just take our old CISC code, with all observability removed, and restore it on to a new Power 8 running 7.3.
- We'll just take this 8" diskette and pop it into a new Power 8
- We'll find an old one on Ebay, which can only go down to V4R5, and try to IPL off of our 8" diskette, saved at V2R3 and restore the OS and stuff from that.
- Hey, we bought 10 of these back in the day and they're sitting in storage to be used as recovery systems, or cannibalized for spare parts.
- We have all the source on printout. We'll just rekey it (I've actually done one of these back on PC's a few decades back. Got my kid sister a temp job that way.).

I thought Europe was a bureaucrat's dream. I don't think this kind of a recovery plan would survive SOX on my side of the pond.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755