First I would upgrade to IBM i. :-)

On the PTF questions these are good questions. What you MUST have are the PTFs named here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20and%20Related%20Software/page/Required%20PTFs%20for%20upgrading%20to%20IBM%20i%207.2

( Links available on http://www.frankeni.com/links.html )

In that document it points out the methods for the upgrade (IBM Media, Virtual Media, Network based media etc.) and the source level and identifies the needed PTFs. I consider ALL of them mandatory and apply them permanently before beginning the upgrade.

Then check the cross reference here: http://www-912.ibm.com/systems/electronic/support/s_dir/sline003.nsf/PSP%20Number%20View/SF97048 for any of those 'Special PTFs' I believe it DOES contain all PTFs but it specifcially is targeting your current CUMe level to help reduce the number to compare.

Then after that do the Perm apply as mentioned.

For the programs that do not get upgraded I have consistently ignored that detail without issue. I perm apply all and have not once needed to remove a PTF from one of those products and found it perm applied. Since those are LPPs anyway *IF* that were to happen you could always simply delete the LPP, reload it and apply all PTFs but the offending one.

Hopefully that gets you going!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com