From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Huntsman
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 10:15 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: V5R4 LPAR density

Hi!
I have an odd, yet hopefully entertaining topic here, that maybe someone
who remembers more about LPARs on V5R4 than I do could help with...

We have a small/medium project (don't ask... :) ), where one of the
objectives is to cram as many V5R4 LPARs as we can get into as small of a
rack unit count as possible. I need to take up less than a whole 48U rack,
storage and HMC included.
Preferably, this will be on Power6, although that is not a hard
constraint. I've been playing around with the Systems Planning Tool some,
but I'm getting killed on the rules... According to it, each LPAR needs a
CD-ROM, and potentially a tape drive. Obviously, I need to be able to load
each LPAR, most likely from an Option 21 tape.
My current thought is to do a 9117-MMA with an 0588 chock-full of 2847's
(IOP for SAN Load Source) and 5760's (FC Card), and doing so I could get 6
LPARs, with only one having tape drive access, plus one more in the CEC that
uses the internal drives...

That's 8U for the 0588, 4U for the MMA, and 1U for the HMC. 13U so far.

For storage, the only option is a DS6800. Let's say we want some
performance, but not tons, so we do a head and an expansion. That's 6 more
U, plus a 1U box to manage the dang thing. Throw in a pair of 1U FC
switches, and now we're at 22U.

Lastly, if we go for FC-attached tape libraries, that's probably another
4U. Grand total is 26U for 7 LPARs with questionable redundancy. Can we
get any trickier than this, to somehow improve the density and/or
redundancy? Get VIOS involved somehow, or something?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

-Ben