after further research i came across this "passwords don't work with sftp on 5250". Can someone tell me what this means? Is this why im able to do this with filezilla (user and password provided) but not on the iseries?

If i cant authentical with user/password, im guessing i need to exchange public keys with our partner?

i am trying to connect to a partner using sftp via the iseries. I am able
to get to if using filezilla from a pc, but having issues when i try from
iseries. I think it has something to do with the shared public key but not
sure. Since i can connect via filezilla, is there a way of taking that key
information off the pc import it into the iseries.

I ran sftp in debug mode and information is as follows:

OpenSSH_3.5p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
debug1: Reading configuration data /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/SC1/Op
enSSH/openssh-3.5p1/etc/ssh_config
debug3: RNG is ready, skipping seeding
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to filetransfer.comcast.com [68.87.32.138] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_rsa.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug3: key_read: no key found
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug3: key_read: no key found
debug1: identity file /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_dsa.
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug3: key_read: no key found
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug3: key_read: no space
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug3: key_read: no key found
debug1: identity file /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.3
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.3 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.5p1
debug3: RNG is ready, skipping seeding
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: diffie-hellman-group-exchange-
sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-c
bc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,rijndael-cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-c
bc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,rijndael-cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,
hmac-ripemd160@xxxxxxxxxxx,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,
hmac-ripemd160@xxxxxxxxxxx,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: diffie-hellman-group-exchange-
sha256,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,di
ffie-hellman-group1-sha1
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-c
tr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,ae
s192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour,rijndael-cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-c
tr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,ae
s192-cbc,aes256-cbc,arcfour,rijndael-cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,umac-64@xxxxxxxxxxx
,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd160@opens
sh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@xxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib@xxxxxxxxxxx
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 121/256
debug1: bits set: 1070/2048
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/XYZ/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename /home/XYZ/.ssh/known_hosts
debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
debug1: Host 'filetransfer.comcast.com' is known and matches the RSA host
key.
debug1: Found key in /home/XYZ/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: bits set: 1047/2048
debug1: kex_derive_keys
debug1: newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: waiting for SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
debug1: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
debug3: input_userauth_banner
WARNING:

This system is solely for the use of authorized Comcast employees
and contractors.

Comcast reserves the right at any time to monitor usage of this
system to ensure compliance with this policy, all applicable Comcast
policies that apply to electronic communications, and all applicable
laws.
Your use of this system constitutes your acceptance of and agreement
to all applicable Comcast electronic communications policies, your
consent to monitoring by Comcast, and your express agreement to use
this system in compliance with all applicable laws.

Any unauthorized use of or access to this system may result in a
revocation of your user privileges, other disciplinary action up to
and including termination of employment or contract, or referrals to
law enforcement officials including the provision evidence of any
unauthorized use or access to law enforcement.
Build Completed - Sat Oct 17 15:57:51 UTC 2015
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug3: preferred publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try pubkey: /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug1: try pubkey: /home/XYZ/.ssh/id_dsa
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
debug3: remaining preferred: password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
debug2: userauth_kbdint
debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup password
debug3: remaining preferred:
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
debug1: next auth method to try is password
debug2: readpassphrase: not a 5250 return ENOTTY
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 49 padlen 15 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
Permission denied, please try again.
debug2: readpassphrase: not a 5250 return ENOTTY
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 49 padlen 15 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
Permission denied, please try again.
debug2: readpassphrase: not a 5250 return ENOTTY
debug3: packet_send2: adding 64 (len 49 padlen 15 extra_pad 64)
debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-in
teractive
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug1: no more auth methods to try
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x20013a74(0x0)
Connection closed