What you're missing is something to tell the system there's work for your
pre-start job to do.

This is a "work request".

PSWR is Program Start Request Wait. The manual mentions the following...A
Program Start Request (PSR) is an architected way for SNA clients to
connect to an SNA server. When a prestart job is set up to handle PSRs, the
external state of the job is in PSRW (Program Start Request Wait).

Prestart jobs are also used for IBM-supplied TCP/IP servers, most notably
the host servers. These prestart jobs accept work via internal interfaces
and PSRs are not used. However, prestart jobs that are waiting for work,
even if they are not using PSRs, still show a PSRW state.

I'm guessing that the "internal interfaces" are the spawn() or spawnp()
APIs with the SPAWN_SETPJ_NP flag set: If this flag is set ON, spawnp()
attempts to use available IBM® i prestart jobs.

But I don't know for sure.

Charles

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Paul Nicolay <paul.nicolay@xxxxxxxxxx>