You are not wrong!

Two primary things we do to mitigate:
1) Journal EVERYTHING in the iASP. ESPECIALLY files with their access paths. But also IFS files that may be in flight.
2) If possible we also do a quiesce of the iASP (CHGASPACT). This is far preferred from assuming that journaling will fix everything!
3) Proper timing. Creating a flash copy when the system has 1000 active users and is running huge batch updates is not going to work well.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com