From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 18:36
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Replace command processor

On 8/29/2016 9:59 AM, Paul Nicolay wrote:
I don't have to write code for every single command... I do have that code already and it is based on regular expressions which is just generic (it runs already for several years on my "fake command line", the only issue is that I need to keep the user on that one).

So I don't understand why I would need to write stub code for individual commands... all I need is the string that is entered on the command line...

You said that you needed to handle every command on the system. I can't
personally imagine how one processing program could handle (for
example's sake) ADDPFM, ADDRPYLE, and DSPTAP. So I overstepped my
bounds and suggested a separate processing program for each command.

But no, there's no particular architectural reason to do that.

I wonder if the exit program would allow me to register thousands of entries for every single command on the system (I don't think I can specify *ALL/*ALL on it).

The question of using the Command Analyzer Change exit program may be moot:

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_72/apis/xcachg.htm

Exit programs may not be registered for the following system commands:

CALLPRC
CALLSUBR
CHGVAR
CLOSE
CNLRCV
COPYRIGHT
DCL
DCLF
DCLPRCOPT
DO
DOFOR
DOUNTIL
DOWHILE
ENDDO
ENDPGM
ENDRCV
ENDSELECT
ENDSUBR
GOTO
IF
INCLUDE
ITERATE
LEAVE
MONMSG
OTHERWISE
PGM
RCVF
RETURN
RTNSUBR
SELECT
SNDF
SNDRCVF
SUBR
TFRCTL
WAIT
WHEN

In addition, exit programs may not be registered for these commands:

CALL command.
Commands that are restricted to use by the CL compiler when
compiling for a previous release.
Commands in libraries QSYS38 and QUSER38.

--
--buck

Visit wiki.midrange.com and register for an account. Edit a page that
helps you, and because it's public, you'll help someone else, too!