On 15-Aug-2016 09:11 -0500, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
EDTF *
These stragglers were on the root.

EDTF * is the equivalent of EDTF './' so if by "on the root", what was meant is the current directory [which may be '/' aka root, but is atypical], then those files are in the current directory of the user issuing the request. That directory name would appear in the upper-left portion of the screen; part of what is not included in the "Example below."

Have no idea how they got created.

If auditing is on for *CREATE, then there should be an entry [T-CO as I recall] in the Audit Log, likely for the first\left-most of the two timestamps; otherwise, an entry for the object-management\change auditing at those timestamps. The program responsible for logging the event should be available from the entry.

All have no name and they are all empty STMF.

Example below.

< 4K CLEAWIEA 11/18/14 21:29 08/15/16 09:25 CCSID = 37
< 4K CHAJPINO 11/20/14 09:38 08/15/16 09:24 CCSID = 37

They have a name. Issue the following command invocation, from which the choice of 1=Select should be made for the directory named '.' [on the Select Object panel] after which Enter would be pressed; normally the request would be to dump specifically what is desired, the asterisk is used in this case specifically to mimic the EDTF * that was used:

DMP *

After that request completes, issue the following command that will present the file names in hexadecimal and as the [likely still not visible glyphs] in the eye-catcher data:

DSPSPLF QPSRVDMP SPLNBR(*LAST)