On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was talking about why a company like
IBM, who came out with SAA and also sits on many of the standards
foundations, would come up with different combinations for copy, paste and
cut.

All right. Let's recap, because lots of stuff is going on in this
thread and it's easy to get lost:

Brad:
Why can't copy and paste [in Client Access] work like any
other application? At least they got that right in [ACS].

Dan:
Copy and paste? Like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V? Ctrl-X for Cut? I mapped
those years ago in Client Access. Works like a charm.

John:
It seems like Brad might be referring to something [beyond just
the key bindings], though. I don't consider "doesn't already
include my preferred key mapping for Feature X" as implying
"Feature X doesn't work correctly".

Rob:
However, I do. Especially from a company pushing standardization.

OK. So you are saying that you do consider "missing or unfamiliar key
binding" to be one way for a feature not to work correctly? And
especially so, given that Client Access and its Windows-native
successors come from IBM?

I'm still not fully getting your point. Are you saying IBM was wrong
not to pre-map Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and paste in Client Access?
Are you saying that the omission was in-line with their push for
standardization (because Windows isn't part of SAA or any other
IBM-pushed standards) or are you saying that their push for
standardization should have pushed them to include those keybindings
(because those are standard for Windows, and Client Access runs on
Windows and interoperates with other Windows software, thus
"standardization" could be taken to mean fitting in with the
prevailing environment)?

John Y.