On 05-Aug-2016 10:30 -0500, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:
What causes a CPF5140?

I know if you close an iSeries Access for Windows session without
first signing off, this will cause it.
<<SNIP>>

Where having interactive jobs end with this error, CPF5140.
No reason found.

<ed: format as symptom kwd string> msgCPF5140 F/QWSERROR T/QWSGET
"Session stopped by a request from device &4."
<<SNIP>>

The CPF5140 will occur whenever the device description encounters a communication error such as the disconnection per user canceling the emulated session, or more subtle communications errors for which the device emulation can not bidirectionally communicate between the client and the server; i.e. essentially, the controller+device to which the client emulator is /attached/, can not properly communicate with the client.

I seem to recall something like the following: The comm-layer signals an event to the process associated with the device when the comm stops functioning, the QT3REQIO program processes the event in the interactive job by calling QWSERROR which sends the diagnostic msg CPF5140 both to the active WorkStation (WS) program [typically QWSGET which is waiting for input from the display file] and to QHST, and then sends the escape msg CPF5503 "Input or Output request failed. See message &1." to the same program to initiate the Device I\O Recovery Action (QDEVRCYACN) [e.g. Disconnect Job (*DSCJOB), or End Job (*ENDJOB), or Message (*MSG)]. Accompanying the event being signaled, is another message typically [/normal/ stopped devices] sent, the msg CPF590A "Session to device &1 ended normally."; sent to the QHST from the same communications [system com arbiter (QCMNARB##)] job that would have signaled the event about the comm issue.