I managed to avoid printing almost entirely, decades ago, so I likely never would have noticed if this is a phenomenon since some particular version of the OS. I just noticed that the F6=Print taken from an F1=Help for the barest of messages produces a six-page or seven-page spooled file! I scripted a number of commands producing some forty lines of first-level messaging, and spooling the entire joblog with *SECLVL active, the output was a mere 4 pages; both features start printing on line-1 and have available 60 lines of a 66-line pagesize. Shocking.

I used to think the OS should provide an API for the Display Message (DSPMSG) capability, with a message key [and job or MSGQ] as input, but if that is how poorly\strangely their code functions, then perhaps the lack of that capability is not such a bad thing ;-)