On 21-Jul-2016 13:11 -0500, John R. Smith, Jr. wrote:
<<SNIP>> Is there a good reason to have QADBXREF locked down so it
can't be used in a query?

Given there is still [I presume] no Record Format (RCDFMT) that is different than QDBXREF [amongst the set of files tracking\providing database file details] and that is not also publicly available, there is little purpose for that locked-down authority; but historically, and for the potential that there may be different formats in the future, the long-standing prevention of users to see the data from the physical file exhibits foresight.

Of little matter however, as the authority is only required for the actual query, which may be established in a CREATE VIEW; the authority to that VIEW can give the missing *OBJOPR rights, which when combined with the *READ rights on the PF QADBXREF enables effective *USE to the data via that encapsulated query.

I'm about ready to give up and do a DSPFD *MBRLIST to an outfile in
QTEMP like I used to do before the fancy stuff showed up that I can't
seem to make work. I would have been done days ago if I had gone that
way to begin with.

I often stick with tried-and-true, and feel none the dirtier for having done so :-) If I wand details about files in QTEMP, I still have to do that anyhow. However I also might place the DSPFD code in a PROCEDURE and consider exposing the results as a UDTF, if I find some value in making the access to that dynamic data from the SQL, to make the experience more pleasant from SQL.

The OBJECT_STATISTICS provides a dynamic list of objects that can be pared by exclusion of generated results with a object-type specification of *FILE, but further limiting to file-object object-attribute presumably is only post-listing. That is one benefit to using the Display File Description (DSPFD), for the File Type (FILETYPE) specification; that request could generate a list with less details and from which further paring can be done with selection, and still defer to the PARTITION_STATISTICS, which could be somewhat useful especially if data to be extracted is DATE\TIMESTAMP of which the Output File (OUTFILE) models for DSPFD will have none..