But if I put in print statements to print the records, the record number, and number of fields prior to the first pattern match and set the Field separator (hard coded ) within the variable/constants definitions the script will print all of individual records in the file along with accurate record numbers and field counts.
Also tried with just printing the first field (print $1) as well as a substring of the first 4 characters, that, for the most part worked correctly also

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:41 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Awk script running in QShell

On 7/20/2016 11:41 AM, Fuchs, James M wrote:
Also based on the fact that the pattern match works on the first pattern /^ISA/ but not any of the subsequent patterns.

That tells me that the record separator isn't being recognised; that AWK thinks the whole file is one big record, and that the /^ISA/ pattern is grabbing the substrings and moving on. But since the subsequent patterns are not at the beginning of the record (like /^TA1/) then AWK doesn't find any of those patterns and thus cannot perform the related action.

Have a look at your input file and make sure it has a record separator that matches the RS (record separator) that is being set. Assuming here that AWK is invoked with -f (for the input file) and that the first 2 parameters are for documentation purposes rather than actual input and output.

--
--buck

Visit wiki.midrange.com and register for an account. Edit a page that helps you, and because it's public, you'll help someone else, too!