From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:26 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Backup to DISK using BRMS

About the only time I can think we may need a physical is to send to IBM for restoration there for certain special situations.

Our DD2500's are set up with a couple of pools of tapes.
Our Kendallville one has
- kdvl-vtl for the 'tapes' used on it
- grrt-vtl-dr for the tapes used on the Garrett vtl Our Garrett one has
- grrt-vtl for the tapes used on it
- kdvl-vtl-dr for the tapes used on the Kendallville vtl

I can be doing backups to both at the same time. The pools are replicated between each other. I have to shift tapes from one pool to the other if I want to restore Garrett data in Kendallville (or vice versa). When you do that the tape becomes a 'read only' while in that pool. Which kind of makes sense.

It sounds to me like you are trying to get them to both appear as TAPMLB01 or some similar fashion on the same machine. If that's the case, I can see why you would have to vary one off to vary the other on.
Here, we only ever see one of the libraries. All the Kendallville lpars see KDVLVTL and all the Garrett lpars see GRRTVTL. But, as I said before, we can 'move' the tapes to do a remote restore.
Sure beats driving the tape over or waiting for an Iron Mountain delivery.

When we were first banging out DUPMEDBRM and our first backups the boss could really notice it on the comm when the replication was kicking in.
Now he keeps asking us if were done even though we have some intensive DUPMEDBRM (four lpars at once) going on. Probably due to there being more data in the deduping to select from.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755