OK. I believe I am following your explanation. If I am, then the original poster's best solution might well be to first ask his network guy to set up a local DNS, then come up with a meaningful naming scheme for the IBM i devices? And finally, let the network guy do as he wishes with IP numbering because it is no longer relevant to the IBM i side?