On 29-Jun-2016 15:27 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:15 PM CRPence wrote:
On 29-Jun-2016 14:55 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:
On 29-Jun-2016 14:40 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:
Does anybody know the equivalent command in the SQL world?

That's probably it. If I add the index back after a file reorg,
will that set me up for level checks?

Ah. So the inquiry from the OP is regarding an intention to disable
the keyed Access Path (ACCPTH) [maintenance] during a Reorganize
Physical File Member (RGZPFM) against the underlying data?

So perhaps the AccPth of the INDEX is defined UNIQUE, thus
preventing changing the Maintenance (MAINT) attribute? In that
case, the DROP INDEX [or Delete File (DLTF)] can be used after a
Save Object (SAVOBJ), and the Restore Object (RSTOBJ) done
afterward -- there could be two restores, one first without the
member, and then another to restore the member, but there would be
no point in so doing. <<SNIP>>

We’re working on a huge file reorg project. We have a 17TB system
that’s over 75% full. We have determined we can get down around 50%
by getting rid of deleted records. Once we accomplish that, we'll
change over to reusing deleted records.

RMVM beforehand and ADDLFM afterward has always been the way to go
to avoid thrashing. But that was before the proliferation of SQL

:-)

I may be forgetting something, but as I recall, for a RGZPFM, use of RMVM and ADDLFM were not for performance reasons; not directly, except for uniquely keyed LFs [because those are maintained rather than rebuilt after-the-fact like the other LFM]. And doing that would reduce storage to allow the effective duplication of the PFM to occur without pushing limits so as to leaving /breathing room/ and thus more efficient allocations during the run-time. The reason RMVM is not generally helpful in that scenario, is that the database starts the request by invalidating all of the non-unique access paths, and does not rebuild them until after the compression of deleted records is completed; and I believe those are run in the background. I suppose if they are built synchronous to the requester, then removal of the LFMs would be good.

Ah... I see; I think I recall now. The use of RBDACCPTH(*OPTIMIZE) has the LF access paths built in the background concurrently, whereas the RBDACCPTH(*YES) has them built sequentially in the process that requests the RGZPFM. So I expect if there is sufficient storage, then you might just want to use that /optimize/ option and forget about the hassle of trying to deal with the access paths separately; let the DB figure out what to do with them..

Without having just seen\tested that, I was going to suggest that the RMVM was very helpful for performance of reorganize requests that are implemented [not with RGZPFM, but instead] as a Copy File (CPYF) request that Compress-Out Delete Records (COMPRESS), for which deleted rows are omitted [or as a copy by SQL INSERT for which only active rows are selected], after which the separate ADDLFM requests can be scheduled and run concurrently to whatever [tempered] activity level and run priorities are deemed acceptable.

But if the considerations are for storage reasons:

As I recall, merely changing the maintenance does not reset the DataSpace Index (DSI), so the storage for the access path remains taken. And for lack of the ability to RMVM, the best option for use of the old-style\dedicated reorg is to make a backup of the INDEX first [use PVTAUT(*YES) to include authorities], effect the DROP INDEX, and then after the reorg perform a restore of the INDEX -- the restore activity, of course, effects the background rebuild. Drop [aka delete] and recreate is often undesirable [and why sav\dlt\rst is "best"], so as to avoid losing customizations from attribute defaults and to avoid loss of the authorities [but unordered sav\dlt\rst for non-SQL LFs, care must be taken to plan for shared vs non-shared access paths if not assured from their original creation attributes].

However, please note that the newer\online reorg [specifying *YES for the Allow Cancel (ALWCANCEL) on the RGZPFM] enables reorganizing the data [e.g. for reclaiming deleted records] without either having to take the file offline or having to rebuild any keyed Access Paths. The physical file must be journaled however; system-managed or user-managed deletion of the receivers keeps the storage in-check... as does the lack of the requirement to make copies of [¿some of the?] journaled access paths and the physical dataspace, as is required with the offline-reorg. The more recent the release, the better are the capabilities of the /online/ capabilities of the RGZPFM feature. Despite whatever reason for considering RMVM, do review the possibility of using the online reorg instead of RGZPFM or copying the data.