From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob Berendt
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2016 1:31 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Parallel saves: Splitting a library also

We're doing parallel saves now. So we tell BRMS to use 4 drives on it's saves and get cranking.
It's kind of like putting a list of your libraries into a data queue. And then having four data queue readers (one for each drive) reading the data queue and then doing a SAVLIB to that drive. Before IBM i had parallel saves I actually wrote something like this. I sorted mine by library size descending.

Anyway, what I am finding is that I have this one inordinately huge library. In fact, all the the other libraries together do not come close to the size of this one library. This library takes 49% of our disk and
spans three tape volumes. The objects within that library are similarly
sized. So it's not like there's one big object and many tiny objects.
Should be a good distribution.

Is there some way in BRMS to tell it to parallel save the OBJECTS within that library?

Do I have to figure out a way (in BRMS) to omit that library from *ALLUSR and save it with some BRMS equivalent of SAVOBJ within that control group?
And then maybe the SAVOBJ would parallel span volumes?