On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Kevin Adler <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just a clarification: for option 2 (Python 3), you'd need to do:

pip3 install pypdf2

I should have said this. But currently my only exposure to IBM's
Python for PASE is pub400.com and Litmis Spaces. On Litmis, the Python
space is already set up with links, so "pip" is effectively an alias
for "pip3". On pub400.com, since I've got limited authority, I created
a venv and do all my Python experimentation from there; and within the
venv, the command really is just "pip".

If we'd planned better, we could have had a much more understandable
option number to version number mapping:

Yeah, but it is what it is. I am still glad that Python 3 was "next
up" after Node.js. When IBM was preparing Python 3 as a 5733OPS
option, was it already clear that Python 2 was going to be another
option? The impression I got (keep in mind I had no insider
information whatsoever, just trying to catch hints from Tim Rowe's
public statements and using my own gut feel) was that IBM probably had
planned on only providing a single Python option. Or that they were at
least considering the possibility of only providing one, if they could
get away with it. And if there was only going to be one, then Python 3
was absolutely the right call.

John Y.