If you're open to commercial options we have software that can allow you to grab information from your screen apps and then launch local documents so the entire process feels integrated even though you have may no remote access to the IFS in your case.

Our components can also communicate with IFS, Data Queues and the Database to give you seamless access.

Reach out to our sales team and ask them to talk to you about the IBM I Office Integrator and Windows Integrator products.

Most likely I will be part of the technical discussion :-)

http://www.helpsystems.com/rjs

Look forward to talking with you about your requirements and making them reality.

If you email me directly I can have someone reach out and set up a discussion.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 5
date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:07:41 +0000
from: "Luedke, Pat" <PLuedke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Network connectivity

In a previous life, I was able to store documents on the IFS and retrieve them for display from an RPG program. In my current position, we "rent" space on a SystemI and are not allowed to use the IFS for document storage. We store relevant PDFs, scanned documents etc in folders on our Windows network. I would like to be able to retrieve these documents from an RPG program in the same manner as I did from the IFS. Since I have no hands on or extended permissions on the SystemI and can do no configuring, is this even a possibility?

Patricia Luedke
Senior Programmer/Analyst