Justin,

What do you mean by "share name"? Are you talking about Windows Networking (SMB/CIFS) shares?

"What you are missing" is that there is many different ways (network protocols) that can be used to connect to a printer. Here are a some of them:

1) JetDirect protocol (IBM sometimes calls this PJL)
2) SNMP protocol
3) LPR/LPD protocol
4) IPP protocol
5) Windows Networking (SMB/CIFS)

The method you appear to be using (setting up a *LAN printer) may be JetDirect, SNMP or IPP, depending on the parameters you are using. Since you're using port 9100, it's most likely JetDirect.

I'm guessing by the use of the word 'share' that you probably are thinking about using Windows Networking. though it's certainly possible that you mean something else entirely.

As far as I know, there isn't a simple way to make IBM i's print writers use Windows Networking, however. In fact, even on Windows systems I try to avoid using Windows Networking since I've had a lot of problems with reliability there. It's fine for a home network where you use it occasionally, but I wouldn't use it for business or any sort of volume.

I guess if you REALLY REALLY want to use it, you could run the Samba smbclient software. You'd need to write your own program to take the spooled files from the IBM i spool and send them to smbclient. That might be a fun project, it's the kind of programming I like to do. But, maybe not for the faint-of-heart?

-SK