I went through a pilot / test migration to SAP.

The database of the SAP version I worked with was very abstract, which
increases flexibility, but decreases understanding. The SAP consultants
involved in the project were having some difficulty determining and
agreeing on what data went where. The abstract nature of its database is a
large long term risk in my opinion, as people will interpret its tables and
columns differently. Over time I'd expect to see a lot of apples in orange
buckets without strong governance in place.

It is in such widespread use that it has reached platform status, which
does have the benefit of lots of third party add-ons. However, with its
abstract database, I'd expect to see a fair amount of that third party
software interpreting the database differently, thereby not working
correctly without modification.

Anyone considering a migration to SAP should gain an understanding of its
abstract nature before taking the leap, since it is, imo, one of the
primary root causes as to why SAP migrations have a reputation of missing
their milestones.

A generous use of abstract tables and columns creates a ripe environment
for surfacing everyone's different opinions, which takes a lot of time to
reconcile.

Mike

date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 11:28:12 -0430
from: Luis Rodriguez <luisro58@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: non-IBM Software Maintenance

Paul,

As someone who went through several years of pains of an ASAP (Accelerated
SAP - supposed to last not more than six months) installation, and is still
struggling with some modules, please let me remind you that SAP is an
acronym for Severe A.. Pain .

Best regards,

Luis