IBM i Application Server licensingOn an assigned logical partition on certain medium and large Power Systems™ models that have the IBM® i operating system, you can use an IBM iApplication Server processor entitlement that allows minimal use of DB2® for IBM i.On such a partition, you can run products such as WebSphere® Application Server or Lotus® Domino®, for example, that do not require DB2 for IBM i to run. The logical partitions with this option can also host applications that access DB2 data located in other systems or logical partitions.The terms and conditions for an IBM i Application Server order are included in the License Information Document for IBM i. Ensure that you understand the terms and conditions for IBM i Application Server and keep this document in a secure location.Processor entitlement keys on systems with IBM i Application ServerOn systems that offer IBM i Application Server processor entitlements, the following types of processor entitlements are managed by one software license key (feature 5051).5770-SS1 feature 5051This processor entitlement key indicates the total number of IBM i processors across a system. You enter this 5051 processor entitlement key in each partition on the system. The value that you enter is compared to the 5051 key quantity to determine license compliance. The 5051 key quantity is the total quantity of IBM i processor entitlements plus IBM i Application Server processor entitlements.5770-SS1 feature 5053IBM i Application Server processor entitlement.Consider these examples of how the processor entitlements are counted across the entire system.If a system has two logical partitions with one 5051 processor in each logical partition, the system has a total of two 5051 processor entitlements.If one of those logical partitions is assigned an entitlement for an IBM i Application Server processor, the system has two 5051 processor entitlements and one 5053 IBM i Application Server processor entitlement.If one of the logical partitions has one processor and the other logical partition has two processors and a 5053 IBM i Application Server processor, the system requires three 5051 processor entitlements and two 5053 processor entitlements.If one of the logical partitions has one processor with a 5053 IBM i Application Server processor enabled and the other logical partition has two processors and two 5053 IBM i Application Server processors enabled, the system requires three 5051 processor entitlements and three 5053 processor entitlements regardless of the version and release of the operating system.Adding a 5053 software license keyIf you used electronic software delivery to download feature 5053 online, the software license key for this entitlement is automatically added to your partition.If you received a printed copy of your software license key for feature 5053, the steps for adding these keys are the same as for other software license keys. You can add the key to individual logical partitions or to all the partitions.Adding support for IBM i Application ServerAfter you add a software license key for feature 5053 and you have an adequate number of activated processors, you can change the processor entitlements for a logical partition between one that has complete IBM i support and one that has IBM i Application Server support. To do this, you use the Set Application Server Support (QLZASPAS) API.To add support for the IBM i Application Server, enter the following text on the command line:CALL QSYS/QLZASPAS PARM('*ADD5053 ')Removing support for IBM i Application ServerYou also have the option to change a logical partition from being a IBM i Application Server partition to being a partition that has complete IBM i support.To remove support for IBM i Application Server, enter the following text on the command line:CALL QSYS/QLZASPAS PARM('*RMV5053 ')

Techdocs Library > FAQs >
Application Server Licenses on i5/OS Frequently Asked Question

Document Author:
Kathleen Ashton

Document ID:
FQ130449

Doc. Organization:
Techline Americas

Document Revised:
07/09/2011

Product(s) covered:
OS/400; POWER6; POWER7

FAQ: Questions Regarding Application Server Licenses on i5/OS
Answer to this FAQ:

Christopher Wilk from IBM's Software Management Services, has provided in depth answers to questions regarding Application Server Licenses.1. Exactly what does the API do besides add the 5053 feature to the partition? Is there any danger or risk to the integrity of the partition or the system by running it?
There is absolutely no risk in running the Set Application Server Support (QLZASPAS) API. The only thing it does is enabled the SS1 5053 feature code. It does not adjust any system values, nor does it do anything with the partition's processor configuration. Once the feature is enabled the 5053 key can be installed and the 5053 feature code will show up on the Work with License Information (WRKLICINF) panels.

2. Do we need to run the API on just the partition using the Application Server licenses or does it need to be ran on all partitions on the system?
The QLZASPAS API only needs to be run on the partitions that are going to be used as IBM i Application Servers. Running the API on all of the partitions will lead to out of compliance messages.

5722-SS1 feature 5051
This processor entitlement key indicates the total number of i5/OS processors across a system. You enter this 5051 processor entitlement key in each partition on the system. The value that you enter is compared to the 5051 key quantity to determine license compliance. The 5051 key quantity is the total quantity of i5/OS processor entitlements plus i5/OS Application Server processor entitlements.

The best documentation for this support is in the IBM i Information Center, in the link:http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzam8/rzam8i5osapplicationserver.htmThere is no separate manual. The red sentence is basically saying that the entitlement needed for the 5051 license key is equal to all the processor cores that are used by IBM i partitions. That includes the processor cores that are being used by the IBM i Application Server partitions.