On 20-May-2016 10:48 -0500, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
On 5/19/16, 9:25 AM, CRPence wrote:
If that refers to a *PGM object in library QDP4, then that would
be for function provided as part of the Licensed Program Product
(LPP) "57XXDP4 [e.g. 5722DP4] *BASE 5050 DataPropagator Relational
for AS/400"

Ok. I've had a brief look at the manual for DataPropagator.

We have a situation on a customer box, in which DataPropagator is
apparently being used to synchronize files between several different
boxes.

And on that same box, we have a trigger program monitoring a
customer master file, in which a customer can be transferred from one
"company number" to another, having its "customer number" reassigned
in the process (which strikes me as utterly insane).

Our trigger has code to specifically handle customer number
reassignment. Provided that it's done in an "update" operation,
rather than separate "delete" and "insert" operations.

Assuming a customer number reassignment happens on one of the other
boxes, and is propagated in with DataPropagator, could it happen
without tripping that code?

Yes. As I recall, changes to the keys are implemented as DELETE+INSERT. An UPDATE TRIGGER would not be invoked on the system where the changes are propagated\applied.

That suggests any _external_ effects of an update trigger would not be applied at the target, unless those effects, e.g. I\O to another DP-tracked file, were also handled by the propagator or another replication feature. Again, that is because the update trigger would not be invoked for the replicated row at the target; for lack of the UPDATE. However, the effects for the changed row would be handled correctly AFaIK, because the inserted row should be the after-image of the updated row.