On 20-May-2016 08:57 -0500, Justin Taylor wrote:
I need to convert PDF files into *USERASCII spooled files for
printing. <<SNIP>>
a number of links about using QSH (including
[https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_i5_54/rzahz/rfile.htm])
but all of those either give me an empty spooled file, or the
printer prints a stack of pages with one row of special characters
across the top of each page.

Any help/suggestions on how to load a *USERASCII spooled file?

Presumably the 2nd example shown at the above link was tried? Which was the effect seen for that? Instead of LPR [Send TCP/IP Spooled File (SNDTCPSPLF)] in that example, I suggest reviewing the resulting spooled file attributes to ensure the override was accurate; i.e. drop the $after command, and then review the resultant spool. I recall a recent test that revealed if the defaulted Override Scope (OVRSCOPE) is Call Level (*CALLLVL) instead of the Activation Group [Definition] (*ACTGRPDFN), then the override did not get applied. Note: I avoid use of QPRINT, choosing to use QSYSPRT instead, because the latter is in QSYS [I generally do not have the /Garbage Pile Library/ QGPL in my library list, and that can cause problems, but mostly for no output and\or an error rather than for incorrect output].

There may be something worthwhile noted in these messages\threads?:
[http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201503/msg00063.html]
[https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/4cf-Jec0BQ4/6I1BNYPjB_8J]