Multiformat files on the S/34 we're internally defined. Your RPG broke
them down. For example you might have

H01 - ORDER# - CUSTOMER# - SHIPTO - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
H01 - ORDER# - CUSTOMER# - SHIPTO - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
H01 - ORDER# - CUSTOMER# - SHIPTO - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
H01 - ORDER# - CUSTOMER# - SHIPTO - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc
D01 - ITEM# - ITEMQTY - PRICE - EXTENDED - etc

This was actually quite common back in the day.
And with RLA you just knew that the first four D01's were associated with
the first H01,
The next two D01's were associated with the second H01,
and so on.
So if you're going to do this with SQL you have to be aware of this. There
will be no trailing H01.

Perhaps some of the newer OLAP functions may help?

Sometimes you actually ran into D02's. Like an individual line having a
ship to versus the order ship to.
They were really into saving bytes on disk and having ship to information
on every line (even if blank) was a waste of space.

If you're thinking of a simple report, using RLA, processing all data top
to bottom, it's not all that hard.

Converting this to SQL is where the 'joy' starts to come in...