I've been supplied with further documentation. They have, (once again),
hardcoded into http and the 'show jvm' the selection of Java. In fact the
documentation asks you to remove the JAVA_HOME environment variable. They
have replaced it with something else which only gives you the option to
select either the 32 bit or the 64 bit of their favored java selection.

My hope is that their continuation of hard coding doesn't cause us any
grief in the future. For example, when we upgrade to iNext if they coded
the following:
If currentReleaseOfOs=7.3
Use JDK8
Else
Use JDK6
EndIf

Then we're toast.
If, however, they coded something like

If currentReleaseOfOs<7.3
Use JDK6
Else
Use JDK8
EndIf

Then we may be lucky.

I've installed this version and I am in the process of upgrading that lpar
to IBM i 7.3.

<snip>
. Avoid using JAVA_HOME setting in NOTES.INI.

By default, Domino 9.0.1 FP6 uses JDK 8 on IBM i 7.3 and JDK 6 on IBM i
7.2 and prior releases. It is recommended to remove any JAVA_HOME setting
in Domino servers before upgrade to IBM i 7.3. It results in 32 bit JVM is
used as default, to use 64 bit JVM, set JavaUse64BitJVM=1 in NOTES.INI of
the Domino server instead.

Another thing that was mentioned was granting QNOTES to a new authority.

2. Grant QNOTES user profile the authority to new *SRVPGM QYPSHIST on IBM
i 7.3.
On IBM i 7.3, there is a new *SRVPGM QYPSHIST without authority granted
for QNOTES user profile, which will impact the colsrv400 job.
When slip upgrade from an existing IBM i 7.2 or prior releases with Domino
9.0.1 FP6 already applied to IBM i 7.3, use following command to add the
object authority manually:

GRTOBJAUT OBJ(QSYS/QYPSHIST) OBJTYPE(*SRVPGM) USER(QNOTES) AUT(*USE)
</snip>