From: John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/09/2016 05:55 PM
Subject: Python on 6.1 versus 7.1

[Spawned from a thread relating to working with Excel files on the i
using Java and POI]

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 6:13 PM, <broehmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For what it's worth, I downloaded PYTHON27 and started
poking into what it can do for me. I was surprised
at how capable it will be.

How capable it "will be"? What does that even mean? :) How can you
tell it's going to be capable now? (Obviously I'm not disagreeing with
your assessment, just not sure how you came to it.)

However, since my system is
stuck on 6.1 for a few more weeks (hopefully) I'm
patiently waiting for 7.1 before I go on. I think it will
make a difference at 7.1.

This is even more confusing to me. I am not aware of any difference
between 6.1 and 7.1 that would have any bearing on iSeriesPython. I
just tried to make the point in the other thread that iSeriesPython
should work the same on all releases starting with V5R3.

Your posts are arguably the only reason I began to
look at PYTHON. I remain intrigued and will definitely
pursue it. So I certainly appreciate your effort to push those areas
simply because you know the worth and I don't.

Thanks. Interest from others increases my motivation to get back to
writing. Unfortunately, I'm not that fast at cranking out articles. I
often feel that the Python-on-i community is as yet still small enough
that maybe my time is more effectively spent on what amounts to
individual tutoring. That is, if some interested party comes to me
with a problem of the form "hey, I tried this piece of Python code on
the i, and I got this error message; could you help me figure it out?"
I feel that we can have a productive dialog. Yes, this obviously
doesn't scale well, but at this stage, maybe literally helping one
user at a time is still progress.

John Y.