First I will suggest taking this thread to the web400 list at:

Or see
Forum Directory >‎ WebSphere >‎ Forum: WebSphere Application Server
at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000266
A search for "IBM i" got 67 hits. Ok so there's 20,861 posts...

But if you just have to stay here and hear from someone who knows very
little about WAS I'll say this:

There was some discussion on a forum about this.
One person suggested using NETSTAT *CNN to see how many people are using a
particular port common to websphere. One caveat was that web based stuff
is often stateless and the port might not always stay in use. But it may
be a rudimentary solution.

There was a discussion of using "PMI in WAS" or an "MBean". Neither
sounds geared towards 'green screen'. Unless there's some API for either
which you can access. Or you're really good at Java.

Supposedly there is a way to check this in the Websphere Administrative
Console. Not very 'green screen'. But if you're really determined you
can figure out how they get that information and come up with a green
screen alternative.

If you can follow the instructions as to how to upgrade your version of
WAS they show commands to stop it and start it. Been awhile but I think
they are qsHell based. IDK if there's some like command you can pipe
current active user count to a stream file or some such thing.

See also
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=how+to+check+for+active+websphere+users