From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
paultherrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2016 12:20 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IBM i to network connection performance

I seem to have a very bad performance issue between the IBM I and my network
when working with files in the IFS and applications on my PC.

We are on IBM I V7R2.

I have an excel .xml file called mytest3.xml (literally, that is the file
name). The file is 17k and has about a dozen rows and columns.

When I open the excel file from the IFS the file takes about a minute to
load (using MS Excel).

When I take the IFS file and move it to the network, the file opens
instantaneously. (Note that moving the file from the IFS to the network
using File Explorer is instantaneous).

.I have often thought that network, and also HTTP interactions, with our IBM
I have been slow, but have never been able to pin it down.

The Excel experiment above seems to highlight the issue.

The question is, what approach can I take to try address this issue?

How can I investigate the problem?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

Paul Therrien