Not true.

You can indeed connect fiber adapters to each LPAR and then have 'direct' (optionally still can be through a fiber switch) to the storage on the SAN. Rapidly though you'll find that gets spendy quick because not only are you buying expensive fiber cards for each partition but expensive fiber ports on your switches too. Worse, you're also rapidly running out of slots in your Power System!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 5/4/2016 6:07 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:

Evan,

Back in 2012, I converted Production LPAR from 15k HDD to 100% 177gb SSD.
Performance was far better than expected, 4x.
In 2015, I migrated all the 177 gb SSD to 775 gb SSD.

R&D LPAR is still on 10k HDD.
I'm looking to improve performance on this LPAR, possibly with my next upgrade.

I'm looking at external disks as an option.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but external would require VIOS.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Harris
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:57 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Disk Block Size

Hi Paul

basically we are analyzing the data as support for a move from internal disks to SAN storage. Currently we don't have any SSDs and the disks are a mixture of 140's and 283's.

We are trying to move the discussion away from the "have you decided on a type" question to a focus on what workload we need to service and what is the best technical solution. Our preference is a SAN but we are going to let the data do the talking as to whether that will really work or not.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>