Rob

many thanks for all this. It will take me a couple of minutes (!) to fully
understand this and try your ideas.

Rob

Virus-free.
<#m_2618480538878982270_DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On 26 April 2016 at 14:40, Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hold on a minute.
I'm going to replace the command STRTCPFTP with just FTP. It's the same
command but it may be confusing others.

You try
FTP MYHOSTNAME
and you are getting cannot find 'myhostname'

But you can
PING 'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX'
where that is the IP address of MYHOSTNAME
and that works?
If so, what happens if you try
PING MYHOSTNAME

On the remote machine try
CFGTCP
12. Change TCP/IP domain information
Record the host name, example GDIHQ
Record the domain name, example dekko-1
Then on my local machine you can do
NSLOOKUP 'GDIHQ.dekko-1'
And it should tell you the IP address and from which DNS server it looked
it up at.

Here's another point.
You mentioned RDB entries.
FTP couldn't give a rat's patootie about RDB entries. SQL connections are
a different matter though.
If you want to be able to look something up by a RDB entry I suggest you
enter that RDB entry into your DNS. Maybe give it the same IP address as
your server name.

Now, if you're doing something really different like our HA Mimix setup
then you may have something like this:
Two machines: GDIHQ1, GDIHQ2. Users only know about GDIHQ. And,
depending on where you're running, it may be on one machine or the other.
Both GDIHQ1 and GDIHQ2 list GDIHQ as their *LOCAL RDB entry
GDIHQ1 will have this
Relational database . . . . . . : GDIHQ
Relational database alias . . : GDIHQ1
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : GDIHQ1
Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : *IP
GDIHQ2 will have this:
Relational database . . . . . . : GDIHQ
Relational database alias . . : GDIHQ2
Remote location:
Remote location . . . . . . . : GDIHQ2

But we also have multiple IP addresses assigned to both boxes.
GDIHQ1 will have an IP address for GDIHQ1 and it will have an IP address
for GDIHQ.
GDIHQ2 will have an IP address for GDIHQ2 and it will have an IP address
for GDIHQ.
When we're running on GDIHQ1 it's GDIHQ IP address will also be active and
our DNS will point traffic to GDIHQ to that IP address. GDIHQ2's IP
address for GDIHQ will be inactive.
When we're running on GDIHQ2 it's GDIHQ IP address will also be active and
our DNS will point traffic to GDIHQ to that IP address. GDIHQ1's IP
address for GDIHQ will be inactive.
Our mimix switch does a remote command to a PC which automatically updates
our DNS.
If anyone outside of systems tries to attach to GDIHQ1 or GDIHQ2 they are
drawn and quartered.
But our DNS has entries for GDIHQ1, GDIHQ2 and the floating entry for
GDIHQ.

Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive