The simplest 'thumb in the air' method is to do WRKDSKSTS let it sit for an hour and refresh. Now look at the columns. Did you do more reads or writes? Were they bigger blocks or smaller? Do the math on reads times read size and write times write size and add 'em up.

Performance tools will do a much better job but this will give you that general idea starting point and it may surprise you! ALSO Note that this may swing wildly depending on workload at the moment!! You need to consider the entire day.

I just jumped on a box that supports a web site that is pretty busy. It's pretty much a look and search only site though you can enter some information. You would expect the disks there to be very read intensive. In just over 5 minutes the read requests average about 3/sec with a read size under 10KB while the write requests average almost 100/sec with a size of 6.5KB. Meaning an average of 30 KB Read per second but 650 KB Written! So don't assume anything!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com