From: Steinmetz, Paul
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 2:50 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: LTO5 HH FC to LTO7 HH FC performance numbers

No encryption, as of yet.

Paul
-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Wood
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 1:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

Paul,

Yes, thanks for sharing.

Very thorough. Any encryption in play ? if so, TKLM or SKLM version ?

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 7:02 AM, Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: "Steinmetz, Paul" <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/08/2016 08:43 AM
Subject: LTO5 HH FC to LTO7 HH FC performance numbers

Below are some performance comparisons from LTO5 HH FC to LTO7 HH FC.
3573 library attached to 2 LPARS via Brocade 300 SAN fiber switch,
with 8 gb ports.
Fiber switch configured so each LPAR can see all four drives.
SYSA IOPA Port1 sees both PORT5 TAPE1 and PORT6 TAPE2 SYSA IOPA
Port2 sees both PORT7 TAPE3 and PORT8 TAPE4.
SYSB IOPB Port1 sees both PORT5 TAPE1 and Port6 TAPE2 SYSB IOPB Port2
sees both PORT7 TAPE3 and Port8 TAPE4.
2 drives per port of the 577D IOA.
All 4 drives with control paths.

BRMS AutoDup saw the biggest savings.
BRMS Save was next.
BRMS RSTLIBBRM saw the least savings.
The DASD subsystem is also a significant factor.
Both systems basically idle when all tape jobs were run, little or no
impact from other jobs.
Only 1 drive used for save and restores.

LTO5 LTO7
Production LPAR P7 740 82051-E6C
V7R1 Latest CUM, TR11
155 gb mem
1.5 CPU
5913 PCIe2 1.8GB Cache RAID SAS Adapter Tri-port 6Gb 100% SSD Disk
response time - 2 ms no wait time 577D 8 Gigabit PCI Express Dual Port
Fibre Channel Adapter

BRMS FULL SAVE While Active (approx. 2.4 tb) 2 hour 15
minutes 1 hour 15 minutes
BRMS AutoDup for above (252 seq) 5
hours 2 hour
BRMS RSTLIBBRM (534 gb) 43 minutes

R&D LPAR P7 740 8205-E6C
V7R1 Latest CUM, TR11
80 gb mem
1.0 CPU
5913 PCIe2 1.8GB Cache RAID SAS Adapter Tri-port 6Gb 100% 10k spiny
Disk response time - 8 ms 1 ms wait time 577D 8 Gigabit PCI Express
Dual Port Fibre Channel Adapter

BRMS Incremental SAVE While Active (approx. 2tb) 3 hour 10 minutes
1 hour 55 minutes
BRMS AutoDup for above (131 seq) 3
hours 10 minutes 2 hour 10 minutes
BRMS 20 RSTLIBBRM (1 tb) 2 hrous 20 minutes 1 hour 54
minutes

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz