There are multiple sides to this argument.

One side is that all access to the data should be via programs only.

Another is that if you do that then the users will throw out the system if
they can't generate the reports they want on a whim.

There is truth to all of that.

For example, we used to have a lot of requests to set up ftp access so
that partners could get files deemed too big for their email system. It's
dropped off to no recent requests and none of the existing sites have been
used in awhile. IDK if that's because everyone removed their email limits
(we never had one) or if everyone thought of IT as "Inhibitors of
Technology" and just decided to move to DropBox. Which, I've heard, may
have it's own security concerns (picture overseas hacking by government
sponsored industrial espionage).

Perhaps there is a middle ground?
Secure the data with Row and Column Access Control (RCAC).
Make the data read only. Updates can still fall under program control
only.
If they just "HAVE TO" update from Excel have them post into an
intermediate table that is then run through a post program which does the
appropriate edits. Keeping in mind that you have to stop the experience
mentioned in which some overwrote the data with a spreadsheet with many
rows (GL chart of accounts) missing. Granted, if it was an active account
there would be referential constraints stopping the removal of that row.