John,

I must respectfully disagree with learning python 2.7 first. I learned
python January 2015 (not on the IBM i) for greenfield development. After
research on the Python 2.7 vs python 3 I said I'm going whole hog in python
3. The bug modules (numpy, scipy, flask, I presume django) all work fine.
Some of the small open source ones need to be updated, but its not very
hard. A one or two line change, and you make a new friend on github. There
is a cheat sheet that will lay out all the issues for you:

http://python-future.org/compatible_idioms.html

There are future modules in python 2.7 that let you do thing like print()
the python 3 way. I went back and made some of my modules work in Python
2.7 and it was all straightforward.

The world does not need more greenfield python 2.7 code at this point.

Justin

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>