Again not from any official source but following the way of IBM i past....

Mostly agree with you but I DO suspect that 7.1 will run on POWER8+. Potentially not directly on top of PowerVM (or as some might say 'on the metal') but at least as a virtual partition.

Given that i 7.3, um I mean iNext, has not been announced yet it's not very reasonable for IBM to have only one widely supported release available for it's newest generation of hardware. Clearly iNext won't be supported by all ISVs yet (though it SHOULD BE) and it should be pretty close to iNext announce for POWER8+

This was the way of i 6.1 on Power7+ By the way.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com