There are a couple applications that can help with this - one I think written by Alan Campin, to monitor disk space usage. The other is called disk/Hunter - s4i sells it. And Help Systems had Robot/Space

They all run and wake up every once in awhile and check how much free space there is and how different - very efficient - the options below can be pretty heavy hitters - not so these applications.

And I know disk/Hunter can stop a process that is consuming a lot really quickly, so can the others, I believe - I wrote the original disk/Hunter when it was part of Centerfield Technology, then it got sold to S4I

Cheers
Vern