On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Kevin Adler <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you're looking for a command line way, you can use the openssl program
(provided you have 5733-SC1 installed) to generate an MD5 checksum:

bash-4.3$ openssl md5 /path/to/myfile
MD5(/path/to/myfile)= 4836b54d356f6fee882991d367bd88fc

This is a winner. I think most people have 5733-SC1 installed. You're
not going to beat this for simplicity or speed. (You don't need bash
either, you could just as easily do this from Qshell.)

If you need to do it programmatically, you could always use the Qp2 APIs
to load libcrypto.a and use the OpenSSL hashing APIs.

Now you're complicating things and turning a super-simple solution
into the usual "build a wrapper around an API" stuff that we so often
see. If you're going to do this, then I think you might as well go
with the _CIPHER-based solutions suggested in the other responses on
this thread.

To make it really, really easy to find, here's the link right here:

https://scottklement.com/rpg/cipher/index.html

Incidentally, when you have a simple command-line solution and you
want to "programmatize" it, the usual way is to put the command into a
script and redirect the command's output to a file, which can then
typically be read quite easily.

Now, if reading the file is *not* easy for you (I'm speaking to
lurkers out there who are not old hands at reading stream files from
RPG or other "traditional" means), then I'm going to plug Python
again. It's just a much more natural fit for anything IFS-related. And
if not Python, then Java, PHP, Ruby, or Node.js.

John Y.