Jumping into my WayBack machine...
Back on the S/36 it did not have 'libraries' to store files. They were
all in the root.
And, the closet thing they had to a generic file save (like SAVOBJ G* on
IBM i) was to prefix that group of files with something they a dot like
G.FILE1
G.FILE2
G.FILE3
H.FILE1
H.FILE2
H.FILE3
And you could save those G files with one command the the H files with
another.

Of course, this naming convention confuses the heck out of SQL on IBM i
and often requires that you wrap the object names in quotes like
SELECT * FROM "G.FILE1"
Not that SQL was ever used on a S/36.