I think storing source in a hierarchical fashion is a large improvement
over source files, if used well to better organize the source.

If the RDi improvements came with completed integration with GIT and a
build tool like ANT, MAKE, MAVEN, GRADLE, or other, then I think that could
gain some good traction. I don't think small shops will ever have the time
or budget to create the build / compile integration well. Large shops
might. From what I've read, GRADLE appears to be more efficient (less
verbose) to use than the others.

I think a solution that is even better is to go outside the box and store
source code in DB2. Coupling that with Gmail style "labels" in the
database provides hierarchical like function, and a solution that is
dramatically faster than a real hierarchical file system will ever be. It
also makes all of DB2's functionality available for your source code. Want
an email anytime source is promoted ? Easy, add a trigger on the source to
do so. Want to enforce check some rules? Easy, add constraints, and/or
triggers, and/or RCAC to enforce them. Want to find a list of related
source? Easy, run a query over the source and/or labels or other columns.
Want to log all source changes? Easy, add a trigger to capture the
change. The improvements are virtually endless when you make all of DB2's
abilities available for your source.

My team's source is in DB2 and it rocks and is FAST. Our works lends
itself to using 99+% SQL objects with occasional calls to CL commands, so
it was very little work for me to add the compile / build functionality.
Compile for me is a matter of specifying the destination schema and
clicking on one button.

For standard teams that have RPG, DDS, service programs, and a lot of other
types of objects to build, there is a lot more work required to perform
builds.

Mike