this someone apologizes for the *FIXED suggestion - it HAS been like 12 years!

Oy!

On 1/27/2016 12:46 PM, DrFranken wrote:
You are on target pretty well. I do like performance adjustment turned on but as you notice it leans HEAVILY toward Interactive since that is the O/S' heritage. To fix that go into WRKSHRPOOL and hit F11 enough times to get to the tuning values. Interact will have a 10% minimum so drop that to perhaps 1 in your case. You can also lower it's priority to 2 perhaps and raise the max faults. (Though your faults are well below the base maximum.) You might want to even drop the max percentage to keep it from growing too big.

Since the advent of threaded jobs the Active->Waits has become a very large number since it reflects threads not jobs so that's no problem at all.

Having performance adjustment set at 0 is acceptable if your workload is pretty static but if you toss in a big SQL task into a pool set too small it may perform poorly and the O/S can't assist it.

Someone suggested setting *FIXED for the paging option but misunderstood what that means. It doesn't fix the size of the pool rather it tells the O/S not to observe the behavior of jobs and adjust paging to match. For example if you are reading a file sequentially it may pull in a lot of records if memory is available when set to *CALC but if set to *FIXED it will not.

As cool as memory pools are be careful not to simply create a big ol bunch of 'em or you'll fragment memory too much to be effective.

Another cool feature of pools is to pull objects into memory with SETOBJACC. Read up on that one if interested.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com