On 13-Jan-2016 04:07 -0700, Richard Reeve wrote:
<<SNIP>> I expected to see the program go to exit (which is ENDPGM).
Unfortunately, that's not what happened. The QINTER AND PRMSDATAQ
were ended and we were stuck. I had to do an IPL through the HMC to
get things going again.

My questions are;

1. Why didn't the program go to EXIT when the CPF6760 message was
issued

[http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201601/msg00397.html]

2. Could I have done something other than IPL? I know that if I had
my home PC running in QCTL that I could have recovered, but I didn't.
I'm not an HMC guy so any advice would be much appreciated.

Had at least one named device been defined previously as a Work Station Entry (WSE), defined having Allocate (AT) *ENTER, as an Entry for the controlling subsystem [QCTL in this case], then any TELNET [supporting named devices] could attach and start an interactive job at that device, given TCP/IP and TELNET server was active. Thus for example, any PC using a typical 5250 emulation could have connected to that device and thus entered the active subsystem QCTL despite the QINTER having been ended. Refer to the Add Work Station Entry (ADDWSE) command.

There are also a number of possible means that may have been available in the given scenario [even without having a WSE], to effect recovery by issuing the command to restart the QINTER subsystem to allow entry to that interactive subsystem for which WSEs already exist for other than the console, from a TELNET client if TCP/IP is active as required for that effect, for example:

• If a database connection could be started from a client because those facilities were active and not ended, e.g. Run SQL of iNav, then using appropriate library qualification and syntax for the SQL:
CALL QCMDEXEC ('STRSBS … /* IIRC, for iNav: CL: STRSBS … */

• If TCP/IP is active [already presumed to be so], the FTP server is active, and the Run Command (RCMD) feature is enabled, then send the Start Subsystem (STRSBS) request from within a client FTP session to the IBM i FTP server:
QUOTE RCMD STRSBS QINTER

• If an active REXEC daemon is available, then send the Start Subsystem request from a REXEC client

• If setup, active, and another LPAR is available from which to send, send a Network Job from another LPAR using Submit Network Job (SBMNETJOB).

• quite likely, other options