David,

QShell can run both AIX and native (such as ILE, OPM, etc) programs if those programs are designed for a shell environment.

However PASE (QP2TERM, QP2SHELL, etc) can only run AIX programs. It can't run both like QShell can. Unless, of course, you use the 'qsh' utility provided with PASE.

Could that be the cause of the problem? Maybe the "simple C program" you reference is a native application rather than an AIX one? That would explain why it works in Qshell but not PASE.

The workaround for running it from PASE would be to do the following from QP2TERM/QP2SHELL:
qsh -c "/path/to/program"

Love the base64-encoded signature!
-SK