Kris,

This tidbit came from IBM PowerVM Virtualization Managing and Monitoring SG24-7590-04

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kristopher Whitney
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 3:50 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Moving a DVD drive owned by VIOS

Dana,

If you have separate VSCSI server and client pairs for each lpar you should only have to do step 1 to vary off the optical device. Then you can go to the HMC or VIOS and change ownership of the DVD drive. The steps below imply you have only one virtual scsi server adapter that is configured to accept any virtual scsi clients. This is not recommended since it is hard to control who has connected to that vscsi server adapter since only one can be connected at a time. Can you share where you found this documentation?

Thanks

Kris Whitney

message: 5
date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 21:24:45 +0000
from: "Mitchell, Dana" <dmitche@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Moving a DVD drive owned by VIOS

We're setting up a new production box with VIOS. Did install and
maintenance on one LPAR now need to move the DVD drive to the other LPAR.
Is this still the only way to remove a VIOS owned virtualized DVD drive
from one lpar to move it to another? Really?

Deallocating a shared virtual optical device on IBM i
To deallocate a shared virtual optical device, complete these steps:
1. Use the following VRYCFG command to vary off the optical device from
IBM i:
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*OFF)
2. To release the optical device with its virtual SCSI connection to the
virtual
SCSI server adapter for use by another Virtual I/O Server client
partition,
disable its virtual IOP from the SST Hardware Service Manager. Locate the
logical resource for the virtual IOP, and select the I/O debug option.
3. Select the Reset I/O processor option, as shown in Figure 9-4.

Dana