From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
PaulMmn
Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2016 11:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted regarding how to install ISV software

Speaking from the customer/user side, whatever you decide needs to be
-very- user friendly!

We have several application packages that are extremely
well-behaved-- you download the update package, run the install
process, and it checks for compatability, resources, version, etc.
etc. and installs itself.

Other applications require a lot of hand holding, both from us as the
customer and from the vendor, with all the questions we have about
the process and the not-always-user-friendly documentation.

There are also applications that install part of themselves into the
IFS. Ideally, these applications should be able to find any previous
versions, and either replace them or archive them in a known location.

Some applications are along-side installs-- the new version creates a
totally new set of libraries, copies in the old data, and is ready to
go. Some applications create backup libraries then update the 'live'
library. Either is acceptable, but an application that can be
un-done or restarted (automatically, please!) is a must!

No matter how the applilcation performs the update, it MUST be smart enough
to:
(1) figure out any compatability issues and TELL US before the process
starts!
(2) All failures must be self-documenting! Don't assume your
process will run successfully! No mysterious failures that require a
romp through the joblog and a call to customer support!
(3) No calls to customer support about an error to hear "Oh, the
install always gets that message. It's safe to continue." If the
install always gets that message, INCLUDE THAT INFORMATION IN THE
DOCUMENTATION!
(4) Step-by-step documentation! If your grandmother can read and
follow directions, she should be able to run the install process
successfully!
(5) If your product is also used in the AIX world, make sure you
have separate documentation for AIX and IBM I! Don't let the AIX
team write the documentation and 'assume' that all AIX commands are
available on the IBM I side!

Remember-- your customer/user doesn't have your knowledge about how
the process is supposed to work; your installer has to work on its
own!

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx