You can in fact have an IBM i Host with Fiber with drives on the fiber and share those drives with one OR MORE guest partitions. It all works very well. You will note that I said "Drives" and I specifically did NOT say "Libraries." Even drives that are part of libraries cannot be shared if i is the host.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com

On 12/21/2015 2:26 PM, Steinmetz, Paul wrote:

Am I correct that Fiber Adapters can only be virtualized if using VIOS?
Not capable with I hosting I, correct?

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DrFranken
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 2:20 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Tape; 2nd port of 5735; 8 Gigabit PCI Express Dual Port Fibre Channel Adapter

oops. :-)

Yes it did in fact replace. You may ONLY have one map per virtual fiber adapter.

Then depending on the zoning in your switch that you have now just connected to you could 'see' many things you previously couldn't.

What *I* would do to fix this is to remove the mapping, I think you merely do:

fcmap -vadapter vfchost# -fcp

Since you omitted the port it maps it Not. Of course you can use the HMC in Virtual Storage management Fiber Chanel tab and uncheck it and apply that. You will need to check the 'remove from active partition'
checkbox.

Then I would DLPAR away the virtual fiber adapter.

Then in SST clear all non-reporting stuff.

Then DLPAR the bugger back in.

Then re-map it.

I seem to remember Jim O doing one of these things and ending with with every tape drive showing up on every LPAR in his lab about 8 times. :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com